aka Basic Orienteering w/ Map and Compass Intensive
Map and compass skills are essential to anyone that may venture off-road. This course will provide a thorough classroom introduction to compass use and map reading. Practical field exercises improve your understanding of using topographic maps in conjunction with a compass to navigate accurately and confidently.
- Select and practice using a compass appropriate for your needs
- Reading 1:24,000, 1:25,000, 1:50,000 or any other scale topographic maps
- Determine your location and UTM/MGRS/USNG coordinates
- Practice route planning utilizing navigation and orienteering techniques
- Improve your skills with daytime field navigation exercises
Professionally presented classroom sessions will be followed by the majority of the time spent outside putting the concepts you learn to use. You should bring a compass, but feel free to talk with me before the class to select an appropriate compass for you. I will provide the maps, but bring any that you may have questions about. Most of the class will be spent outside, and some at night, so bring appropriate equipment and be prepared to walk several miles each day. With the class size limited to 10, you will have plenty of one-on-one time with the instructor. Lodging and meals not provided, but local camping areas and hotel information will be provided upon registration.
Target Audience: Outdoor Enthusiasts, S.A.R. volunteers, Military operators (SFAS, OCS, WOCS and other elite forces selection candidates), Law Enforcement professionals, Hunters, YOU
- Class Time : Course will start at 9am on Saturday and end at 4pm on Sunday
- Required material: Outdoor clothing (compass & grid plotter optional)
- Course Fee: $160
- NEXT CLASS: March 4-5, 2017 in Christiansburg, Virginia
Pay for your March 4 - 5, 2017 Course now
Basic Land Navigation