aka Advanced Orienteering w/ Map and Compass
Practice navigation and orienteering skills over longer distances off trail. We will work with different scale maps. Challenging navigational exercises will be facilitated to improve your navigational ability and confidence.
- Plot and plan routes to a given set of MGRS/USNG or UTM coordinates
- Determine alternative route plans and select and execute the best one
- Master techniques to account for declination world-wide
- Improve your skills with day and night navigation exercises
Registration for this course requires prior experience with map and compass but not necessarily from this school. After a short classroom review, the majority of the time will be spent outside fine-tuning your navigational skills. We will navigate to coordinates day and night in hilly and mountainous terrain. I will provide the maps, but bring any that you may have questions about.
Most of the class will be spent outside, and some at night, so bring appropriate equipment and be prepared to walk several miles off trail each day. With the class size limited to 10, you will have plenty of one-on-one time with the instructor. Lodging and meals not provided, but local camping areas and hotel information will be provided upon registration.
- Target Audience: S.A.R. volunteers, Military operators, OCS, SFAS, RASP, and other Elite forces selection candidates, Law Enforcement professionals, Hunters, Outdoor Enthusiasts, you
- Class Time : Course will start at 9am on Saturday and end at 4pm on Sunday
- Required material: Flashlight, outdoor clothing, compass, grid plotter (GPS optional) Safety glasses recommended for eye protection during night navigation
- Course Fee: $160
- NEXT CLASS: December 9-10, 2017 in Christiansburg, VA
Pay for your December 2017 Course now
Advanced Land Navigation - December 9-10, 2017